Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Why do I have a snail invasion in my fish tank?

About a month or so ago, I bought a few plants for my fish tank. The salesperson offered me a snail too, so I was all, "Meh, sure." At first there was just a few tiny snail, but now its like an invasion. And it seems theres now an albino subspecies forming. Is this thing asexual or something? How does it keep spitting them out?? And subspecies?!! Any thoughts?|||I have this "Snail Rid" by White Crane Co. and the label says it kills all kinds of snails without harming most plants and fish.


Dosage : 1 drop per 2litre of water


Active ingredient is Copper element


Precaution : Toxic if water is soft or has low KH. Add KH_UP to increase KH value to 5 drops before treatment.


Caution : Harmful to Vallisneria and Elodea


I've been using it for some time and it seems to work quite effectively. Good luck!|||Generally, they come in on plants ... they can foul your tank far beyond any good that they do. They die and rot in their shells, contaminating the water. There are additives you can get to kill them but be very careful. I'd put the fish in a quarantine tank, completely clean out the main tank and start over...|||Snails are asexual and when they have babies they have hundreds. You need to clean the majority out. They will quickly poison the tank and kill the fish.|||Buy some puffer fish. They are known to kill (Eats) Snails. Buy those drawf type, as I know some are not as effective. Be careful with them as they eat meat. after killing the snails, they may bite you other fishes.|||If you want to get rid of them, buy a fish named Botia (or Bothia) which eat snails by sucking them out of their shells.|||Buy a clown loach, these are known to eat snails. Becareful though, they liek to play dead. My friend had one and it began playing dead the next day. she scooped it out and put it in the toilet and only then did it begin to move!|||because snails are extreamly prolific breeders.if you got one , it will turn into hundreds.to cure the problem, put a small goldfish in the tank.it will eventually eat all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment