Friday, December 2, 2011

Are there any patio container plants that are slug and snail resistant?

I live in the UK and now is the time to plant up my patio containers. Last year I tried to protect them with copper foil but unfortunately the slugs and snails still managed to get to my plants, I think from from nearby trees and shurbs which overshadow the pots. In the past I have tried salt and slug pellets but they get washed away in the rain (and we get a lot of that here). So, I wonder, are there any slug or snail resistant plants? Thanks.|||Hi Thirsty,





As the first poster has said, they don't seem to bother lavenders much, nor do the appear interested in the foxgloves that I have in my garden. I have also noted that marigolds seems to stand a good chance against them once they are more mature plants. Another plant they seem to leave alone are ferns. I have a border full of ferns and hostas, the hostas get munched but the ferns are perfect.


Campanulas, carnations, dianthus all seem to do well in containers in my garden, and the petunias and mini marguerettes which I planted up two weeks ago have survived the slimy beasts so far.


I must admit I am a devil for the organic slug pellets though, everything gets a liberal dowsing of them as soon as I plant anything out. Have you thought of filling a container/tub with peas, beans, tomatoes, borage, rosemary, thymes etc - they are not necessarily slug proof but some veg get some lovely flowers on and then you can eat them later in the season.





Hope this helps and that you have a lovely slug/snail free summer :-)|||No such thing but the good news is there are several ways to get rid of the pests. "ORTHO" makes a slug and snail bait that I have found to be very effective. Or you could put out several saucers of beer. Push the saucer down into the dirt until the little buggers can climb in easily They will climb in And drink themselves to death.|||In a word no, i use broken egg shells, they dont like slithering over sharp edges, also try vaseline on the edge of the pots or at the base, they wont cross it.|||Lavender is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment