Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What to do about snail eggs in my fish tank?

I'm not sure what type of snail is in my fish tank but it鈥檚 the size of a pinkie fingernail and brown. I think it's laid eggs in my tank, there are kidney shaped clear jelly sacks with little dots inside them and are on the glass of the tank......What do I do with them? Leave them as is? Or Take them out? And do they live in any temperature?|||Most likely a mystery snail. When you do your weekly water changes, just pull the jelly sacks off of the side of the glass and suck them up with your water siphon if you have one. I really recommend getting one.





If not, your tank will have an overload of snails, so it's recommended that you make sure to get rid of them while you can!|||Get rid of the snail %26amp; any snail eggs you can find those snails are a pest %26amp; will multiply like mad. The best way to make sure you don't get more of those snails is when buying live plants from shops or any where is take time %26amp; check out the state of the tank the plants are in are there snails in the tank can you see any visible egg sacks on plants if so best thing to do is walk out %26amp; try another shop. Just to stay safe when you do find plants that look safe when you take your new plants home wash them in some clean fresh water before putting the plants in your tank check for egg sacks stuck to stems,tops %26amp; bottoms of leaves. Once you have washed your new plants then its safe to put in your tank with a very small chance of infesting your tank with pest snails.|||Some times when you buy live plants they can have a couple of snails on them, as they are usually sold in the same tank, or there may be snail eggs on the plants. there is an easy way to get rid of these, you can buy a liquid snail rid from a local aquarist, it's easy to use, and shouldn't cost too much.|||1 snail in a fish tank = 100's of the little beggars!





Get rid of them, but it's not so easy as it seems. I had a bad infestation of these not long ago, and not even regular removal of the egg sacks works. I don't like putting too many chemicals in my tank, you never know how it will affect your fish.





In the end I went for a very natural solution. If you tank is big enough (probably wants to be at least 80 litres or more) get a couple of Clown Loaches. These are really attractive fun fish to keep, and their favourite food is SNAILS. They cleared up the tank in no time, and lacking anymore snails they love eating the same stuff the catfishes in my tank munch on. Check out this website for further info.





http://westerncichlids.com.au/clown-loac鈥?/a>|||i currently have soooo many like 500 in my 2.5 gal with my african clawed frogs and the tank has only been set-up with snails in it for 3 months i thought they would help clean so i baught 3 and they layed so many eggs there are currently over 25 egg sacs just on one plant cause i have so amny snails and actually they make more waste than they clean so there not worth having and they infested my 10 gal and are starting to infest my 29 gal|||Did you buy this snail? What fish are in the tank? All your details do is give me questions. I need more info before I can answer that.|||take them out because once they hatch, they'll multiply like crazy

No comments:

Post a Comment