Friday, December 2, 2011

Can you start the nitrogen cycle with a snail?

Today I received a empty ten gallon tank set up from my sister, and want to start a small freshwater community. I already planned on adding a apple snail to the mix, but if I add it by itself will it start my nitrogen cycle? Where I live they don't sell ammonia drops.|||Actually it will work to a certain extent. Any animal living in the tank, or even plants and algae that grow and then die will feed the cycle, at least at a low level.





The tank will only ever build up a cycle to match the bioload that you put in, but once you get some level of cycle running it's much easier to build it up in stages as you add more fish.





A medium size snail probably produces the same bioload as a small fish as far as the nitrogen cycle is concerned.





Ian|||No, you need hardy fish like barbs or tetras.


You can get ammonia in most hard ware shops.


Or ask your fish shop to get some in for you.


Read link below.|||You can use fish food instead of ammonia drops.

No comments:

Post a Comment