Friday, December 2, 2011

How do I know if my aquatic snail passed away?

Hi there. I noticed my snail hasn't moved for about a day and a half, two days tops. Sometimes when I get close to the tank, I see his body move inside a little bit. How do I know if he's dead? Because I don't want to take him out and flush him not knowing for sure, obviously.|||they will have a faint smell that resembles a dead rat's dead smell.








however, please keep in mind that snails do get inactive periods.





my snails do them all the time. I also think they are dead but just to be on the safe side i get a small bowl, add some of the water from the aquarium and then drop him inside it.





leave for a day or 2 and see if he has moved.





if he hasnt, then by now he should have the bad smell that signifies death.|||Pull him out and smell him. You will know immediately. If it smells dead, it is.|||Snails will stay in there shells for days on end and this is normal. To ensure he is still living you can take him out , put him on his back and blow cool air over him. If is alive it will emerge from the shell and try to flip itself over. If he smells bad..he is dead|||Those things last a LONG time. Had to do a Biology experiment, had one living in a small container for a month without care or cleaning. Thought it was dead. Chuck it outside in the open air. Come back two days later, guess whose still alive?! Best to just leave him in a separate container if you are unsure. When things start floating out...you know it's past time.|||DO NOT take the snail out in the air for a long period of time to see if it is dead. all you have to do is pluck him out and smell him he will stink if he is dead. Like way more than to average fishy smell. like rotting flesh that has been sitting around for a long time.|||wow


well if you c him move


a little he is not dead


yay!!


:D|||When snails die, they release their trapdoors. I don't know about the smell, but if your snail's trapdoor is hanging, you can tell that he's dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment