Saturday, November 19, 2011

What is a specific plant a garden snail will eat?

I am doing a science project where we make an ecosystem in a bottle with a plant and animal. I am researching using a garden snail as our animal and the only things I can find that it will eat are lettuce and fruit, but I need an actual plant that I can plant in the bottle. Does anyone know what I can use?





Also, what should I do about water for both the plant and the snail?|||Hi KM,





UPDATE; Good morning. It rained here alnight. I wish I had some more info to help you. How big is the bottle? The amount of water will depend on size of the bottle. How long do you have? Some plant seeds will take 2 weeks to come up, and the snail will eat the plant the minute they break the ground. Why can't you use lettuce plants? Snails will tear (eat) lettuce up. I would go with lettuce and Bell pepper plants. Add only a few drops of water if bottle is enclosed.





I am glad to hear about your science project. I really don't know where you would get these plants this time of year. I have a large garden.





Snails love Bell pepper and Eggplant leaves. They also like green bean plants, but they will usually eat off the growth (the middle) part before the plant get started good. I really do not think tomato plants will help. I have never had a snail problem with tomato leaves. They will dig into the tomatoes if they are on the ground.





Do not use a lot of water. If the bottle is enclosed, you may get enough water without watering. If I think of anything else, I will get back to you sometime tomorrow. Have a good night. From Los Angeles|||tomatoe leaves real or artificial :)

No comments:

Post a Comment