Thursday, November 24, 2011

For those of you who know about snails - Can a snail crawl up the kitchen pipes?

Ok, snails don't normally freak me out when I find them outside in a garden, but I found a snail in my kitchen sink! It's just me and my husband, so I have no kids to be playing around with snails. We are on the second story of the apartment homes we live in. The property is well kept, but I do see snails when it rains, so they are definitely on the property. It is possible for them to crawl up the pipes?|||My brother use to have a couple snails and they would always climb up the glass. So yes it is possible, yet it seems unlikely. Normally water comes and goes from places i don't believe snails can live. So maybe you were gardening you didn't notice the snail on your hands and when you went to your sink to wash your hands snail fell off and you came back later to see a snail there. I wouldn't worry about it until you see more snails in your sink.





Ps: snails don't like salt|||If you're talking about climbing up the inside of the pipe, highly unlikely. Soap etc. that you send thru your pipes would have killed it before it got to the sink.





If you're talking about climbing up the outside of a pipe, they could, but..... if the pipe is copper, highly unlikely. Snail slime reacts to copper in that it sends an electric shock thru the snail when in contact with each other. This is why they use copper to protect plants in the garden. So even if it didn't kill the snail, it certainly wouldn't be able to stay on it very long.





Did you bring any plants in for the winter? I brought a plant in and left it by my back door. A couple of days later there was a small snail in my kitchen sink. I'm pretty sure it came off of the plant.





Or like somebody else said, you could have inadvertently carried it in yourself. I guess they'll go to a water source, which is strange, because in the garden, when it rains, they come out of the plants looking for cover.|||A good friend of mine lives in wetlands in Florida. When i visit there are large snails around, especially after it rains. They slither on glass, wood, rock, etc. So i would imagine they would have no problem crawling up or on metal pipes. Being that snails are wet creatures, it may have not entered the pipes, but sensed that water was there and wanted some.





just be happy they're not this large;





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtM0Y3YihAU





P.S. Do you still see the insects? I still have met no one that sees them but you.





you can contact me via e mail if you would like;





me@davidmccarthymedia.com|||I don't think its possible. But just to make sure pour some dishwashing liquid down the drain.

No comments:

Post a Comment