Saturday, November 19, 2011

Can I put a snail in with my guppies in a 2 and a half gallon tank?

I have guppies in a two and a half gallon tank. Only three though. I was wondering if I could get a snail or something. If so what kind? Could it be an apple snail which I eventually put in my Twelve gallon? I know they grow huge! But would it attack my guppys? Is 2 1/2 gallon too small.? Are they hard to take care of?|||* For everything you want to know about snails in your aquarium%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;


http://naturalaquariums.com/plantedtank/鈥?/a>|||Your already pushing it with 3 guppies in a 2 1/2 gallon. I woulndt put the apple snail. I would just put the apple snail in the twelve gallon you already have. It takes a long time for the snail to be huge. and apple snails dont attack fish or anything. There too slow. Although they do eat dead/decaying fish. Snails are very messy fish. They poop more than they clean up. If you do, You will have to do ALOT more frequent water changes. With 4 inchs of fish which is suppost to be in a 4 gallon or more, You have them in a 2 1/2 gallon. Skip the apple snail, or you will risk killing all your fish.|||Yes, you can put an apple snail in with your guppies. You will just have to do more frequent water changes to keep on top of the increased waste created by the snail. The snail will not attack your guppies. But watch out that your guppies don't pester the snail too much. If they do, it will stop moving around and start just staying in one place all the time tucked inside its shell and starve itself to death.





I had this happen with one of my apple snails. It didn't starve, but it was a close thing. I had to put the snail in isolation so it could be unmolested. It was actually the pleco that was bothering it more than the guppies, though. I have some snails in another, bigger tank with lots of guppies and they do fine.





Apple snails are pretty easy to take care of. Just make sure they get enough calcium and enough to eat. If you don't have lots of algae and the fish don't leave it any fish food or algae wafers to eat, give it the occasional bit of romaine lettuce, zucchini, dill weed or other greenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment