Saturday, November 19, 2011

How do I keep my snail from climbing out of my tank?

I have a medium sized freshwater snail that I bought from a local fish store. I have a small 2.5 gallon fish tank in my room and it climbs out of the small space designated in the back for my filter. Some days I'll find on the filter or on my floor. I would to know some possibilities of trying to keep my snail from climbing out. I have already tried netting, which makes a big mess with the water in the filter. Any creative suggestions would be greatly appreciated.|||Be creative and make you a piece that will cover the gaps you have so it won't climb out.





Try using some hard plastic.





Matter of fact go to your local pet store and tell them you want to get a piece of that plastic that slides on the end of glass lids.





When you get it take it home and slide it on your glass and try to outline it around your filter when you got it all figured out cut it with a hot knife or butter knife.





Make sure you slide the butter knife across is fast or you will end up melting the plastic piece.





Good luck!!!!|||What about a tank top? For that size tank you may not be able find one at a petstore but you could buy some plexi (spelling?) glass at a hardware store and have them cut it to your specifications. Leave a small enough hole for any filter or tubing but leave it small enough where you snail wont crawl out.





Sorry I don't remember how to spell "plexi" glass but it's basically hard plastic which is clear as glass. I find it at Home Depot in the wood department.|||The only reasons snails (I presume you have a regular apple snail) would climb out of a tank would be to lay eggs, or that there's a problem with the water quality. To lay eggs they would only go into the lid, so I would assume that the reason for the escaping is water quality, snails are very messy creatures. Test your water.|||I have a tank that size, and when I had a snail in it, I just bought the top for it, it was glass, and it kind of cover everything so I had to buy a filter that stayed inside the tank, is not very convenient. it was at a very popular pet store, the name ends with land. I guess you can figure out the rest.|||I bought a snail and after I had it for about six months it started doing as you describe. A week later it was dead as a stone. It is possible that mine %26amp; yours didn't have enough algae to sustain it and it was seeking greener pastures. I'm not sure. I'd try feeding it algae tablets, sea veggies, blanched lettuce or something like that. Don't be surprised if it dies like mine did.|||Put some vaseline on the top(where the water does not reach)this is how I keep my red clawed crab from escaping.|||Search Ebay for a 2.5 gallon tank lid.

No comments:

Post a Comment